On July 27th of 40 years ago, thanks to the foresight of the Bank of Italy, ABI (the Italian Banking Association) and a number of Italian banks, SIA was founded with the aim of developing the domestic payments system by exploiting the potential - then still little explored – of information and communication technologies.
That decision marked the first step along a path of innovation that has led to our contributing, also at international level, to the digital revolution still underway in the sectors of payments, financial markets and electronic networks, thus making the operations of institutions, banks, businesses and citizens faster, simpler and more secure.
Driving this evolution have not only been our knowhow and reliability in designing and implementing state-of-the-art infrastructures and services, but above all the trust of our customers and the professionalism of our suppliers which have been a driver and a guiding light in the ongoing pursuit of the excellence that has characterized SIA’s activities over the past 40 years.
All this has enabled us to become one of the leading companies in the payment systems sector, and not only in Europe, and to grow progressively in Italy and abroad where today we have over two thousand customers - including 19 central banks - in 46 nations worldwide.
For the coming years, we are more than ever committed to continuing the history of innovation and excellence that has accompanied us so far, with the ambition to go on contributing to the growth of all of us.
CEO of SIA
Everyone will be able to use their own money anytime, anywhere, simply and securely.
Provide the best platforms to process all kinds of payments of institutions, people, corporates.
A HISTORY OF INNOVATION
- development of the RNI (Rete Nazionale Interbancaria – National Interbank Network), which connects all the financial institutions
- automation of the interbank payments system
- creation of the Bancomat Circuit.
Technological innovation makes its entrance on financial marketplaces: SIA - also through its merger with CEDborsa - plays a leading role in the automation of markets managed by Borsa Italiana and in the start-up of the Italian wholesale markets: e-MID and MTS.
In 1992, SSB is founded from the spin-off of SIA’s Applications division. The new company focuses on creating a merchant- and acquirer-side offering, launching the first payment cards projects: Bancomat/Pagobancomat, FASTpay, MINIpay, e-Wallet and Microcircuito.
SIA’s technological excellence is recognized throughout Europe. The company becomes one of the leading players on the international market. Innovative services linked to the Euro and to Europe are developed:
- compliance with international EMV circuits and standards
- EBA STEP2 platform for retail payments in Euro
- Monte Titoli post trading
- surveillance services
- issuing and acquiring processing solutions
- Network Service Provider for access to T2S
- SIAnet Financial Ring, today with 44 trading venues connected
- Collateral management for central banks and CSDs
- outsourcing for Payment Institutions/EMIs
- development of Jiffy service for P2P money transfer.
- development of the pan-European instant payment infrastructure with EBA Clearing
- completion of the acquisition from UniCredit of emoney processing activities in Italy, Germany And Austria
- Ubiq (Ti Frutta) acquisition to develop solutions in the area of digital promotions
- realization of the new interbank payments system of New Zealand’s Central Bank
- Data center with "Active/Active" architecture
- SIAchain, the private blockchain for financial institutions, corporates & public sector.