The Gateway allows acquirers to accept on their terminals (POS or ATM) the cards of the major international payment card schemes, Visa, MasterCard, JCB, China UnionPay, Diners/Discover and American Express through a single connection, thereby avoiding having to connect with the individual schemes.
The solution is based on a Host-to-Host connection (between the acquirer’s terminal manager and the Gateway) or Terminal-to-Host (in this case using Terminal Handling and Terminal Management services), using on the terminal an application supplied by SIA that connects to the SIA terminal manager.
- use of a single connection between the acquirer and the Gateway for all schemes
- transfer of economies of scale allowed by the Gateway
- lower costs and activation times for a new scheme
- network connections, protocols and certifications with card schemes managed by SIA
- flexible implementation
- connection with the Gateway from the acquirer’s terminal manager or directly from the terminal
- the acquirer selects the card schemes it wants to connect to.